Thursday, January 29, 2009

My Knee

Well, I know that mostly everyone noticed that for the first three months or so of the school year, I sported a big, black knee brace. I get tired of explaining what happened, so I'm just going to tell the story on this blog!

On August 13, 2008, Ellen Breen and I were at the third and final day of tryouts for the Central school volleyball team. It was the day they planned to announce the teams. We were all scrimmaging with each other while the coaches called each player over individually to let them know which team they made, if they made it. It was really relaxed and fun because I was pretty confident that I made the team so I was just having a good time playing. Normally I'm a setter, but I love to spike too. So I was playing as a left side hitter just for fun. My sister, who also plays as a setter, set me a ball to the high outside. It was a little out of my reach so I sort of twisted my body to try and reach the ball. I managed to spike it down, but as I came down, that's when I hurt my knee.

It's really hard to remember what actually happened and to even talk about it because it was so painful. It was probably the scarriest, most painful, and worst experience of my life. All I remember was that I fell after hearing a "pop" and then I just screamed on the ground. Ellen was standing right next to me when it happened and she said I was yelling and grabbing tightly onto this girls foot. She even said it was one of the hardest things to watch.

After the fact that I realized I'd hurt my knee pretty badly, the coaches came over to the makeshift cot they'd made for me on the gym floor, and told me what team I made. If this situation could get any worse, I made varsity. Of course, this was directly after realizing I probably would not be playing at all this season.

So I ended up tearing my ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament aka "the bad one") and meniscus.  I had reconstruction surgery about two weeks later, on the Friday after the first day of school.  And THAT is a whole different story.

2 comments:

EB said...

It was the hardest thing i've ever had to see!

Natalie Mironov said...

Aw Emma that is so sad. I can't wait until your knee is fully better!